nanog mailing list archives

RE: Blocking certain terrorism/porn sites and DNS

From: "Brett Carr" <brettcarr () ripe net>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 10:41:09 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog () merit edu [mailto:owner-nanog () merit edu] On
Behalf Of Abhishek Verma
Sent: 18 August 2005 10:20
To: nanog () nanog org
Subject: Blocking certain terrorism/porn sites and DNS

Hi,

I have a doubt which i am sure a lot of people in this list
would be able to help me with.

There was news that terror groups like Al Qaida, etc. are
using internet to promote their terror links and these web
sites provide online training on how one could assemble bombs, etc.

The community as a whole wants to close all such web sites. I
dont think there is any ambiguity there.

My question is why cant we ban websites like, say,
alqaida.com (hypothetical name), etc. from the whois database.

As far as i understand if there is a website with the name of
www.abc.com then it needs to register itself with the whois
database (from network solutions) so that all the queries to
this website can be forwarded to the corresponding
nameserver. Now, if we want to block abc.com permanently then
cant we simply remove this URL entry from the whois database?

Will this work?

It would stop them using whichever hostnames you banned but do you really
think this would stop them using the internet.

Terrorist1: Mmmm seems the internet community have put a stop to us using
www.bombsrus.com
Terrorist2: Ok right lets give up and strive for world peace instead.

I don't think so :)

More likely they will (and already are) hiding behind very non terror
sounding names, not a lot we can do about that really.

Brett..

--
Brett Carr                              Ripe Network Coordination Centre
System Engineer -- Operations Group     Singel 258 Amsterdam NL