nanog mailing list archives

Re: botnet reporting by AS - what about you?

From: "Christopher L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () mci com>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 04:10:37 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005, Hannigan, Martin wrote:

I was on it and unsubscribed. They wouldn't disclose the collection or
validation process at that time. This made it useless for the most part
as its hard to act on someones word without some idea of how they are
getting their data and avoiding collateral damage.

this was part of my point ;( It's hard to call up a customer and say:
"someone told me that you were bad, could you stop please?" normally they
hangup after saying something uncooth and about 'you are crazy'... :( I
may be crazy, but most of the abuse folks aren't.

there has to be complete info in the complaint:

1) logs
2) timestamps
3) timezones

they should be in some structured (see inch-wg/rid for some
almost-standards-based examples) text-based format that is easily parsable
by machines.