nanog mailing list archives

Re: FCC Issues Rule Allowing FBI to Dictate Wiretap-Friendly Design for In ternet Services

From: "Christopher L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () mci com>
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 15:45:12 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005, Matt Ghali wrote:

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005, Joshua Brady wrote:

  the FBI can call the NSA anytime they want without a tap order and
  get them to trigger ECHELON when your voice is apparant on any
  line.

Not me, I wrapped my cellphone in tin foil.

shiny side out one hopes? Seriously though, I'm not a telco/phone person,
but I was once told that the phone switch equipment does the tap
'automagically' to special ds-1 facilities inn LEA-land... which means the
cell phone can be wrapped in anything you'd like. If the calls get
completed a copy is silently made to the right folks (not the nsa, they
aren't LEA).