nanog mailing list archives

Re: Slashdot: Providers Ignoring DNS TTL?

From: sthaug () nethelp no
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 20:51:07 +0200

But caching servers are usually setup to load balance. Usually, the
servers with the same IP address share an ethernet along with multiple
routers.  So the packets are switched on essentially a per-packet
basis.
Or possibly a per-arp basis that alters the MAC-based-forwarding
behavior
of a switch.  This is fairly fine grained load balancing.

This is complete news to me.  Of course, I do not run most of the
caching name servers on the Internet, so what do I know.  Do you?

Would anyone who runs an anycast recursive name server care to supply
data points to support or refute Mr. Anderson's assertion?

Our recursive name service, using anycast servers, is setup with 3
name servers at 3 different physical locations, with each server
connected to a router at the same physical location. Each server
handles two different anycast addresses. There is no per-packet load
balancing involved.

I can't speak for the rest of the net, of course - but our recursive
anycast service has worked well for several years.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug () nethelp no