nanog mailing list archives

Re: Spammers Skirt IP Authentication Attempts

From: abuse () cabal org uk (Peter Corlett)
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 19:50:11 +0000 (UTC)

Paul Vixie  <vixie () vix com> wrote:
[...]
however, and this is the important part so everybody please pay
attention, if you can junk something "without hesitation," then
spammers will stop sending that kind of "something." they make their
money on clickthroughs, final sales, and referrals, which translates
to one thing and one thing only: "volume." if the way to keep their
volume up means "put SPF metadata in for the domains they use" or
even just "stop forging mail from domains that have SPF metadata"
then that is exactly what they will do. guaranteed.

Cool, fewer double-bounces implicating me as the source of spam. I'll
take that, ta.

[...]
i lost that bet during my MAPS years. your mileage may vary, but to
me, SPF is just a way to rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Well, I for one would really really like to thank you for the MAPS
RBL. It may not have been a permanent solution, but it made the
difference while it still worked. If ever you have the misfortune to
find yourself in this arse end of Britain, please do claim a pint ;)

we won't have decent interpersonal batch digital communications
again before whitelists; everything we do in the mean time is just a
way to prove that to the public so they'll be willing to live with
the high cost of fully distributing trust.

As a poor bastard who seems to be BOFHing for an ISP "fixing" mail, I
can only hope that the future comes up with good ideas in the future
that will help with the tsunami. Given the 400% increase in spam that
we've seen hitting our "spam solution" in the last 3 months, anything
that can make the difference is welcome.

For the long term, I really don't know what to do. Becoming a Knuthian
email hermit is tempting given I'm getting awfully close to the 15
years myself...

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger abuse () mooli org uk for full key