nanog mailing list archives

Re: Public Interest Networks (was: Re: Consortium sheds light on dark fiber's potential)

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:40:49 -0500

In message <41A4DF8F.9000701 () ai net>, Deepak Jain writes:

Vicky, I apologize if I am hijacking your thread.

Is it just me or does all this talk of Research (and other Public
Interest) Networks and logical separation by layer 1/2 leave [everyone]
nonplussed?

How is logical separation of a network [say via MPLS] much different
than using a lambda to do the same thing?

Wearing my researcher hat, the answer depends on what sort of research
you're trying to conduct.  There are more things to do with a fiber
than just running IPv4 over it.