nanog mailing list archives

Re: who gets a /32 [Re: IPV6 renumbering painless?]

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch () muada com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:15:36 +0100

On 21-nov-04, at 20:12, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

The point is, that these days applications such as mail and web are sufficiently heavy that you can't even run them cost effectively over dial up (wasting your employee's time costs more than the fatter line) let alone less.

That assumes the company wants their employees using web or email, or that there are even humans at a site to begin with.

No it doesn't, but if this is not the case, then this clause kicks in:

if you don't connect to the internet you don't contribute to the global routing table so there is no issue. :-)

It would be interested to see some good statistics on this stuff. However many enterprises any of us has seen from the inside, it's still unlikly to be a statistically relevant sample.

An unfiltered BGP feed should give you stats on what's quoted immediately above. If you want numbers of publicly-invisible hosts, even if you knew who to ask most would refuse to answer for "security reasons" or require an NDA.

No, that's not what I'm interested in. What I'd like to know is how many big organizations backhaul their internet traffic to one or a few central sites, and how many connect to one or more ISPs locally at different sites.