nanog mailing list archives

Re: Problems receiving emails from china...

From: Joe Shen <joe_hznm () yahoo com sg>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 09:32:20 +0800 (CST)

Hi,

Is there similar problem existing with sending email
to email server inside china?

 maybe you could check end-to-end delay and packet
loss rate.

Another method, ask your customer to cut the
attachment to several parts and send them seperately.

Joe

 --- Lou Laczo <llaczo () inetu net> wrote:

Hi all,

I did a quick search of the archives and was unable
to find any previous
discussions relevant to this topic.

One of our clients has been having problems
receiving some legitmate
emails from business associates in China. The
client's mailserver is
running qmail. In almost all of the cases, the
failing email has at least
one attachment and is larger than what might be
considered "normal". Our
client's mailserver receives part of the message and
then the smtp
connection hangs and eventyally times out. Many
times, the sending mail
server will attempt to send the message again and
again before finally
giving up. The failing messages can be successfully
delivered to hotmail
and/or yahoo accounts.

I've observed this problem while it was occuring and
there are multiple
smtp connections open between the clients server and
the sender's server.
The connections are in various states, some
established, some in fin_wait,
etc. I've tried tracerouting to the sender's server
and in every case I've
observed the trace times are terrible. I've looked
at various aspects of
the mail server's configuration and all looks well
there. I've even tried
having the senders email to a totally different
mailserver on our network
and get similar failures. It's staring to look like
this is just a simple
case of bad network connectivity from the sender. My
guess is that the big
free email systems have relay servers all over the
world, so the sender in
China would be talking to a server much closer to
home. This would explain
why the mail can be successfully delivered to
hotmail, yahoo, etc.

Has anyone ever experienced a problem similar to
this? Thanks in advance
for your attention and any responses/help.

--Lou.

Technical Support - INetU Managed Hosting -
http://www.INetU.net
          support () INetU net - Phone: (610) 266-7441