nanog mailing list archives

RE: Worms versus Bots

From: "Michel Py" <michel () arneill-py sacramento ca us>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 08:00:36 -0700

Matthew Crocker wrote:
We require a NAT device or true firewall on all DSL
customer connections. We sell cheap Linksys boxes
to customers or they can upgrade to a SonicWall.

This makes a lot of sense to me. It's not a
silver bullet, but it does help.

I still like PPPoE for customer authentication
because I can place individual packet filters or
re-assign users to different contexts based on
username/password authentication. PPPoE/NAT is a
good combination.

Tends to be a non-issue now, but it's a lot easier to deal with PPPoE on
the Linksys than have the customer install a more or less crummy PPPoE
client on their PC. The cost of dealing with one customer that trashed
their PC installing an early PPPoE client (with the help of helpdesk :-(
is worth ten Linksys.

Michel.