nanog mailing list archives

RE: Open Source BGP Route Optimization?

From: "Michael Hallgren" <m.hallgren () free fr>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 13:26:17 +0200

Per Gregers Bilse <bilse () networksignature com> wrote:
On May 28, 10:37am, "Sam Stickland" <sam_ml () spacething org> wrote:
Are there any BGP extensions that would cause a BGP
speaker to foward
all of it's paths, not just it best? I believe quagga had
made some
recent attempts

It has been discussed and been on wish lists, but:

in this direction. IIRC the problem isn't to do with the route
annoucements, it's the route withdrawals. I believe BGP only
specifies the prefix being withdrawn and not the path, so if it's
advertised multiple paths to a prefix it's impossible to
know which
has been withdrawn.

That is 100% correct, yes.  Selective withdrawal is not supported.

Another issue is that there isn't much point, as far as regular BGP
and routing considerations go.  Whichever is the best path for a
border router is the best path; telling other routers about
paths it
will not use serves no (or at best very little) point in
this context.

Well something came up recently on a transit router. It takes multiple
Tier-1 feeds, but management wanted to sell a just MFN to a
customer. It's possible to policy route all of their traffic
to the MFN interface and only advertise their prefixes to
MFN, but not possible to only feed them the MFN routes
without starting to use VRFs etc.

Of course this is a great perversion of resources ;)

Indeed. Makes me somehow wonder how come that customer did not think
of buying transit directly from MFN? KISS, that is. Or am I missing
something?

mh

Sam