nanog mailing list archives

Re: Qwest Utah fiber cut

From: sgorman1 () gmu edu
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 14:59:14 -0400

I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on the Utah cut.

The news report said that the cut happened near Monroe Utah, which is several miles off of I 70.  Yet the cities that
were reported effected included St. George, Cedar City, and Salt Lake, which all are adjacent to I 15.

The puzzling part is that in our "best effort" database Qwest does not have long haul fiber running down I 70, but it
does have a lot of fiber running down I 15.  There is Qwest fiber on I 15, all the cities affected are on I 15 yet the
reported cut was near Monroe off of I 70.

I'm not familiar with Utah geogrpahy and this comes simply from looking at our maps.  Just trying to sort out the
seeming discrepency.  Any insight?