nanog mailing list archives

RE: who offers cheap (personal) 1U colo?

From: "Vivien M." <vivienm () dyndns org>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 23:21:21 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog () merit edu [mailto:owner-nanog () merit edu] On
Behalf Of Andrew Dorsett
Sent: March 15, 2004 11:17 PM
To: John Kristoff
Cc: nanog () merit edu
Subject: Re: who offers cheap (personal) 1U colo?

I'm not referring to the time required to implement.  I'm
talking about the time it takes for the user.  On the user
end.  Lets do some simple math.  Lets say I turn on my laptop
before I shower, I power it down during the day while I'm in
class and I turn it back on when I get home in the evening.
This means two logins per day.  Lets say that the login
process is very rapid and takes 30 seconds.  This is a whole
minute per day required to login.  Now multiply this by a
month and you've wasted 30 minutes of my time.  I coulda
spent that time watching TV or heaven forbid, doing homework.
:)  My big thing is that often users are the one who are
paying the price and spending the time.  I think either
system (the mac-ip lookup or the user auth) system could be
created in a week using C++ or perl.  This week of
development is nothing in the long run when compared to the
amount of time it now costs the users.  Come on, how many
users save their mail passwords so they don't have to type it
in everytime?  What about your dialup password?  Too bad I
can't automate the web logins.

You must be talking about a different Netreg system that the one everyone
else has used. The one we're talking about involves you logging in when you
connect with an unknown MAC - once you've used the system to match your MAC
to your student number/login/etc, then the DHCP server will give you a real
IP the next time you request a lease...

Vivien
--
Vivien M.