nanog mailing list archives

Re: Counter DoS

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja () darkwing uoregon edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 15:20:19 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Petri Helenius wrote:

Gregory Taylor wrote:

Oh yes, lets not forget the fact that if enough sites have this
'firewall' and one of them gets attacked by other sites using this
firewall it'll create a nuclear fission sized chain reaction of
looping Denial of Service Attacks that would probably bring most major
backbone providers to their knees.

Fortunately people with less clue usually have less bandwidth.

When pricing structures and deployment of broadband in the US approaches
that of Korea and Japan, I think you'll find that that isn't the case in
the US anymore.

Obviously
there are exceptions. I would expect to see localized tragedies if
something like this would get deployed but predicting death of the
internet is clueless.

Pete

--
Joel Jaeggli           Unix Consulting         joelja () darkwing uoregon edu