nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Default" Internet Service (was: Re: Points on your Internet driver's license)

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 09:22:20 -0700

Sean... Bigger and more important questions than "How do you make sure your
users only access safe content?" are:

        1.      Should you?
                It is very hard for me to distinguish this from censorship
                in my mind.  No, I'm not saying malware doesn't violate
                community standards of decency.  However, so do obscene
                phone calls.  TPC is not expected to block all obscene
                phone calls.  They are expected to assist in the investigation
                and termination of repeated abuse.  I think ISPs should
                be held to that same standard.  Anything more treads
                a slippery slope.

        2.      Who defines "safe" content?
                Is porn safe?  Is <freeapp> (with it's well known spyware
                and other adjuncts) safe?  Is <peertopeer> safe, with it's
                well known tendency to support copyright infringement?
                Is the web safe, given the various malware activex components,
                javascript bugs in browsers, etc.?  I like deciding for my
                self what risks I will take.  I really don't want my ISP
                making those choices for me.

Owen