nanog mailing list archives

Re: AV/FW Adoption Sudies

From: Eric Rescorla <ekr () rtfm com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 12:23:42 -0700

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu writes:

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:54:31 PDT, Eric Rescorla said:

My hypothesis is that the sets of bugs independently found by white
hats and black hats are basically disjoint. So, you'd definitely
expect that there were bugs found by the black hats and then used as
zero-days and eventually leaked to the white hats. So, what you
describe above is pretty much what one would expect.

Well.. for THAT scenario to happen, two things have to be true:

1) Black hats are able to find bugs too

2) The white hats aren't as good at finding bugs as we might think,
because some of their finds are leaked 0-days rather than their own work,
inflating their numbers.

Both of these seem fairly likely to me. I've certainly seen
white hat bug reports that are clearly from leaks (i.e. where
they acknowledge that openly).

Remember what you said:

relatively small. If we assume that the black hats aren't vastly more
capable than the white hats, then it seems reasonable to believe that
the probability of the black hats having found any particular
vulnerability is also relatively small.

More likely, the software actually leaks like a sieve, and NEITHER group
has even scratched the surface..

That's more or less what I believe the situation to be, yes.

I'm not sure we disagree. All I was saying was that I don't
think we have a good reason to believe that the average bug
found independently by a white hat is already known to a
black hat. Do you disagree?

-Ekr