nanog mailing list archives

Re: [Fwd: [IP] Japan facing bandwidth shortage due to take-up in broadband]

From: Deepak Jain <deepak () ai net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 20:58:21 -0400

With the current facilities as they are, a simple calculation shows that
actual communications traffic will exceed the backbone's maximum
capacity as
soon as five years from now.

Since when is this is a good indicator? If we ignore any of the growth in facility capacity in the last 5 years, wouldn't we all be in capacity -plus situations right now? I know we are moving more than our total capacity from 5 years ago.

In order to handle huge communications traffic without any delay,
large-capacity routers of more than 10Tbps are required. To deal with
growing data communications traffic, it is imperative to reinvest in the
communications infrastructure, such as an expansion of relay-network
capacities by adding new optical fibers and communications equipment.

Sounds like a great place to deploy an HFR-class router if you had to do it this year. In 5 years, a PC might be able to do it.

Deepak Jain
AiNET