nanog mailing list archives

RE: IT security people sleep well

From: "Michel Py" <michel () arneill-py sacramento ca us>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 20:12:11 -0700

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
OK.. Say you can get it into the code train for 200K. What do
you do with all those routers that have only 100K or 125K of
space left in the flash (if that), and the flash is NOT going
to get any bigger without massive abuse of a soldering iron

Being one of these who have massively abused the soldering iron (I run
12.2T on a 3102 and I _do_ plan on running it on an IGS) the fact of the
matter is that these days are gone. On my all-mighty home router
(7507/RSP2) I have 64 _megs_ of flash that cost me a mere 20 bucks at
Fry's and 128 megs of RAM that cost me $0 because I scrounged them from
an old server. The RSP2 does not support el-cheapo digital camera flash?
That's true, it's not in the list of approved memory. Nevertheless :-D

cisco7507#sh diagbus
Slot 2:
        EEPROM format version 1
        Route/Switch Processor 2, HW rev 1.02, board revision F0
        Flags: cisco 7000 board; 7500 compatible
cisco7507#sh ver
cisco RSP2 (R4700) processor with 131072K/2072K bytes of memory.
R4700 CPU at 100Mhz, Implementation 33, Rev 1.0
64000K bytes of ATA PCMCIA card at slot 0 (Sector size 512 bytes).

In modern environments, I have to admit that 2500s are a though call but
I will also point out that a 2600 goes for near-to-nothing on eBay, and
even when you re-license IOS and upgrade it still costs near-to-nothing.

For the enjoyment of Nanog readers, the following links display what you
should _not_ do if you don't want to void the warranty on your brand new
Cisco 3102 (it was before I decided to run 12.2(T) on it, more soldering
has happened since).

Michel.

http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/photo_albums/first%20album/high/cisco
%203000%20decapitated%20serial.jpg

http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/photo_albums/first%20album/high/cisco
3000.jpg

What do you mean, it's not new? It was new when I bought it!