nanog mailing list archives

Re: Whois/RWhois Server - what is everyone running..?

From: abuse () cabal org uk (Peter Corlett)
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 08:46:22 +0000 (UTC)

Richard J. Sears <rsears () adnc com> wrote:
We are looking into the possibility of implementing our own RWhois
server as opposed to continuing to provide information via SWIP. I
am looking for any advice as to what people are currently running
for their whois/rwhois server.

When I started working at CentralNic, I found it was little more than
a Perl script hanging off inetd.

I replaced it with an Apache-style preforked daemon (still written in
Perl) that cached database handles and the like, with the intent that
this was a proof of concept for a C++ version. As is typical, the Perl
worked well enough that it didn't get rewritten :)

[...]
Searching Google does not seem to produce a variety of whois/rwhois
server software.

It's not exactly a common requirement...

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger abuse () mooli org uk for full key