nanog mailing list archives

Re: Misplaced flamewar... WAS: RE: in case nobody else noticed it, there was a mail worm released today

From: Vadim Antonov <avg () kotovnik com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 04:26:54 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

Actually IMO putting all their crap in their own dir is a feature
rather than a bug. I really hate the way unix apps just put their stuff
all over the place so it's an incredible pain to get rid of it again.

Putting all crap in the working directory is bad design (no way to
separate read-only stuff from mutable). Unix/Linux design (all over the
place) is pure and simple lack of discipline, or "hack before thinking"
approach.

Plan 9 nearly got it right, but for the lack of persistent mounts (it's
all in an rc file, executed at each login).

I think MacOS got it right: for most apps, installing just means
dumping the icon wherever you want it to be, deinstalling is done by
dropping it in the trash. The fact that the icon hides a directory with
a bunch of different files in it is transparent to the user.

That's UI.  Inside it's the same Unix crap.

I think MS's tradeoffs are mainly time to market vs even faster time to
market.

It's mostly "We don't care, we don't have to, we're The Microsoft"
mentality.

--vadim