nanog mailing list archives

Re: Don't Panic II (Re: updated root hints file)

From: bill <bmanning () karoshi com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:19:49 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Coppola, Brian wrote:
In preparation for tomorrow morning's B-root IP change from 128.9.0.107 to
192.228.79.201 we have posted updated root hints files.  They are available
from the following URLs:

sean.donalen sez:
Network operators using "golden networks" to control route flap dampening
will need to update their BGP dampening configuration for the new address
and to remove the old address.  Until updated, dampening may incorrectly
ignore routes to the new address during periods of network instability.
In practice, this is a rare occurance and the other root servers will
still be configured.

        "B" will continue to answer on -BOTH- addresses for at least
        24 months. Even so, we encourage ISPs and DNS admins to make
        the changes at their earliest opportunity.  That will leave the
        "tail" to clean up after those folks who may not be avid NANOG
        readers. :)  Questions?

--bill
<bmanning () karoshi com>
+1.310.322.8102