nanog mailing list archives

Re: Any 1U - 2U Ethernet switches that can handle 4K VLANs?

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 18:34:59 -0500

Alexei Roudnev wrote:

1) Use Cisco 2924 or 3524
2) Redesign your network to fit into 1024 VLANs
3) Do not spend time with junk (non Cisco, for the switches).

U1 switch have only 24 - 48 ports, so you never need to handle 2000 VLAN's
on it. And I suspect, that the whole design is wrong.
Do not build custom configuration (4000 VLANs), build standard configuration
(20 - 40 VLANs) /except - if you want to became a QA for the whole vendor/.

I agree, but you could still have 4000 VLANs with multiple VTP domains.
Using 3550-48s you can have L3 links between VTP domains.

Jeff