nanog mailing list archives

Re: Any 1U - 2U Ethernet switches that can handle 4K VLANs?

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 20:44:22 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 sthaug () nethelp no wrote:

Does anybody know of 1U - 2U form factor Ethernet switches that can
handle 4K VLANs, or at a minimum 2000 VLANs?  Note that we're
specifically looking for the ability to handle this number of VLANs
operating simultaneously, not only VLAN *IDs* in the full 4K range.

Extreme Summit48si.

The switches should have 12 - 24 Fast Ethernet ports. Some form of "Q
in Q" or stackable VLANs, ie. the ability to handle more than one VLAN
tag, is vital.

You can do this by changing the ethertype of VLANs, Extreme calls this
VMAN (9100 for vlans intead of 8100). This requires a network design to
match. The switch has 48 ports and two SFP gig ports.

Spanning tree is needed, but can be one common spanning tree for all
VLANs (per-VLAN spanning tree is not needed).

It does that.

Other features that would be nice to have:

- RSTP (802.w) and MST (802.1s). - A couple of GigE ports (GBIC or SFP
based, presumably) for uplinks. - L3 (IP routing). - DC power.

I dont know about RSTP and MST, but it does the rest. It also has EAPS for
subsecond L2 failover.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se