nanog mailing list archives

Re: GSR, 7600, Juniper M?, oh my!

From: Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 13:32:13 -0500

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 12:14:18PM -0600, Rob Healey wrote:

 For Juniper: ( You know who you are! )

       Why not release an "Olive CD" with each new major JUNOS bump? It
       wouldn't hurt to have every schmoe in the universe that can boot
       a FreeBSD ISO also be competant in JUNOS! Place it as an iso download
       in the software docs area.

       For the squemish in the legal dept. you could remove the code that
       handles Juniper hardware from the distro and still have an excellent
       CLI engine and minimal routing platform simulator.

       I bet if you passed out a stack of "Olive CD's" at a NANOG there would
       be plenty of takers!

I still think there is a market for low-end 100Mbps-only "PC routers" for
which they could easily sell thousands of copies of JunOS without the jpfe
package at $1000 a pop. Considering they actually managed to add
hardware-less firewalling in 5.x, I'm still not entirely convinced that
they aren't thinking the same thing. But alas, it's probably too
innovative a concept, and might cut into the "stupid with too much money"
M5 buying market a tiny bit.

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras