nanog mailing list archives

Re: GSR, 7600, Juniper M?, oh my!

From: "Tom (UnitedLayer)" <tom () unitedlayer com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 12:57:00 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Florian Weimer wrote:
Tom (UnitedLayer) wrote:
Buying GSR's is probably the right replacement for 7500's if you want to
stick with Cisco.

But be careful when buying the linecards.  Not all of them have
comparable forwarding performance to the 7500 if you do something else
than mere IP packet fowarding (e.g. ACLs or policy-based routing).

Given that a GEIP in a 7500 can only do 200-300Mbps (packet load
dependant), I hope the GSR can do better :)

I have heard of instances where enabling inbound packet filtering or
shaping on certain GigE cards would cause the cards to shutdown or reboot.

I generally don't do shaping/etc on core gear, because its much easier to
do it on my aggregation gear (2948G-L3/4908G-L3).