nanog mailing list archives

Re: ICANN/Registry Agreement:

From: "Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr." <LarrySheldon () cox net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 19:35:54 -0600

[It isn't important who] wrote:

It gives Verisign/NetSol the ability to generate exclusive profit from the
hijacking of every non-existant domain name in existance.  No other registar
could do something like this without paying for every last domain they take,
or could they ever do anything like this due to the fact that Verisign/NetSol
controls ALL of the TLD servers for .com and .net.

..."hijacking of every non-existent domain name in existence."

..."non-existent ... in existence."

Several people have said things like that in recent times.  Including
me, I'll bet.

What exactly does it mean?

(Yes, I know.  We are talking about the fact that strings submitted for
lookup that have not been registered as names would not be cause an
error to be returned.  And that is clearly a lot more words, if not a
clearer description of the problem.  We need a wordsmith to give us a
short string that can be converted into a useful TLA.)