nanog mailing list archives

Re: Dumb users spread viruses (here's one!)

From: "Dr. Jeffrey Race" <jrace () attglobal net>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 07:59:58 +0700

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 21:03:29 +0000 (GMT), E.B. Dreger wrote:

Most of our users are reasonable, however.  With a little
explanation about the harm an insecure computer can cause, they
understand and accept the fact that they're not islands.

Of course, many still get infected with spyware and viruses.  At
least they're willing to have their computers repaired... better
than nothing, but still not as good as being proactive. :-/

Datapoint: I just cleaned my 12-year old daughter's personal
machine running Windows, connected to our home network and to the
world via ADSL. Took half a day.  Found 2 viruses, 4 trojans,
and 122 registry entries for assorted malware, spyware, adware, etc.

Jeffrey Race