nanog mailing list archives

RE: Anycast 101

From: "Hannigan, Martin" <hannigan () verisign com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:09:44 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog () merit edu [mailto:owner-nanog () merit edu]On Behalf Of
John Kristoff
Sent: Monday, December 20, 2004 1:10 PM
To: nanog () merit edu
Subject: Re: Anycast 101

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 17:18:30 +0000
Paul Vixie <paul () vix com> wrote:

there are some million-bot drone armies out there.  with
enough attackers

I've heard that claim before, but I've yet to be convinced that those
making it were doing more than speculating.  It is not unreasonable to
believe there are millions of bot drones, but that is not the same as
an army under a single or even coordinated control structure.  It is
entirely possible to build armies of that size, but maintaining them
over any length of time is probably quite difficult.  I'd of course be
interested to hear about any evidence to the contrary on or off list.

John

I know I haven't seen any 1MM+ zombie armies out there and I'm
looking for them. Why spend all that time getting 1MM bots when you
only need 100K?

-M<