nanog mailing list archives

Re: The Cidr Report

From: Joe Provo <nanog-post () rsuc gweep net>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 13:26:01 -0500

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 01:08:39PM -0500, Patrick W Gilmore wrote:
On Dec 13, 2004, at 6:39 AM, Michael.Dillon () radianz com wrote:
[my attribution clipped -jzp]
- this month, another knee was at 150k [Dec 4th] and similarly
 garbled results came out. Again, no response.
...in this one year we've seen the shape of the climb return to the
curve characterized by two years 99-01. Going for e?  I'm not quite
sure what the current point of the report is if no-one responds to
even it breaking.

Knee? Shape? Curve? Are you reading the same CIDR report
that I see here every Friday? The report that I see is
basically a dump of raw data. Perhaps the author needs
to remember the distinction between data and information
and make the CIDR report into something that people
*WANT* to read. This posting of yours contained far more
information than any CIDR report.
[snip]

Also, as for the "knee" Joe mentioned, I think he is talking about the
fact the report went wonky.  Look at the data presented in the last
CIDR report - it is nonsense, obviously in error.  This is not the
"shape" of the "curve", it is the data itself.

Correct on 'knee' but for crying out loud, follow the pointy clicky
references to the website. Of course there isn't going to be a curve
in email [you want ascii plots? how 1980s], but the email quite
clearly points you the way to the site where there is some analysis
of the raw data.

For many of us, the mail is a reminder 'here's the current raw info,
check the detailed stuff over here'.  There is no secret cabal or
hidden ionfo, the report email

Joe, finding it a sad state of affairs that he must cut and paste
"http://www.cidr-report.org/cgi-bin/plota?file=%2fvar%2fdata%2fbgp%2fas4637%2fbgp%2dactive%2etxt&descr=Active%20BGP%20entries%20%28FIB%29&ylabel=Active%20BGP%20entries%20%28FIB%29&with=step";
 into this message for people to
   actually look at the graph.

PS "2001 bellovin bush griffin rexford" entered into google hits the
 specific reference quite nicely - sorry i didn't include the title.
  as michael pointed out the specific links migrate all the time, so
  i was purposefully avoiding 'where it can be found at this moment'
  [try http://www.research.att.com/~jrex/papers/filter.pdf]

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE