nanog mailing list archives

Re: Senator Diane Feinstein Wants to know about the Benefits of P2P

From: Scott A Crosby <scrosby () cs rice edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:41:23 -0500

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:33:21 -0700 (PDT), Gregory Hicks <ghicks () cadence com> writes:

I recall even seeing posts about people claiming this meant original data
being reconstructed from the checksum!  That would be truly amazing since I
could reconstruct a 680MB ISO from just 61d38fad42b4037970338636b5e72e5a. Wow!

Assuming that MD5 is a PRF, about 2^{-128} files will have such a hash
value. For a file 680MB in size, About 2^{680*1024*1024*8-128} in
total. If I had a list of all of those files, it would be impossible
for me to identify which of them was the 'right' image.

First-preimage resistance means that it should be computationally
infeasible for anyone to create *any* file with that particular
hash. It was also believed to be computationally infeasible to find
*any* two files that had the same MD5 hash. The attack on MD5 showed
that it in fact is computationally feasible to find two files with the
same MD5 --- someone did it. This attack showed that MD5 no longer
meets some of its design requirements.

The "collision" problem discovered means that there might be
MULTIPLE 680MB files that give the same checksum.

Scott