nanog mailing list archives

Re: .ORG problems this evening

From: "E.B. Dreger" <eddy+public+spam () noc everquick net>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 18:54:06 +0000 (GMT)

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 11:36:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: bmanning

Bill, I know you know better, so let's try more facts and less
FUD.  Mmmmkay?  Your above paragraph is a red herring that is
analogous to saying "all multihomed services must be run on the
router itself".

      yes, it does lean that way... but to expose a sigma-six
      blip in how some people may think about anycasting techniques.

Regardless of the technology, one can _always_ create a stupid
way of doing things.  With any luck, however, a _good_ way
exists, too.

Here's the deal:  DNS server runs a BGP/OSPF/whatever speaker.

      One model.  ISC is enamored of this model.  I'm not.
      http://www.isc.org/tn/isc-tn-2003-1.txt

Yes, one model.  Skimming the ISC paper, I also have mixed
feelings about some sections.  The basic principle, however,
boils down to getting traffic to the "right" place based on
factors such as reachability and correctness.

      Nope, it can even be done w/ COTS technologies.

Noted.  I suppose some implementations may indeed be turnkey...
just that we've never seen the One True Tarball for the way we
like to do it.  My fault for overgeneralizing.

Eddy
--
Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 316 794 8922 Wichita