nanog mailing list archives

Re: Providers removing blocks on port 135?

From: "Miquel van Smoorenburg" <miquels () cistron nl>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 09:47:15 +0000 (UTC)

In article <cistron.Pine.LNX.4.44.0309202021530.25380-100000 () bubba numbnuts net>,
Justin Shore  <listuser () numbnuts net> wrote:
Now I'm going to get even more off-topic.  It occurs to me that major
changes to a protocol such as SMTP getting auth should justify utilizing a
different tcp/ip port.  Think about it like this.  If authenticated forms
of SMTP used a different TCP/IP port we netadms could justify leaving that
port open on these same dynamically assigned netblocks in the theory that
they are only able to connect to other authenticated SMTP services.
Doesn't that seem logical?

That's not exactly a new idea.

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2476.html  (december 1998).

Mike.