nanog mailing list archives

RE: CCO/cisco.com issues.

From: Hank Nussbacher <hank () att net il>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 17:57:23 +0200 (IST)

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Matt wrote:

The nsp-security list coordinates the interaction between ISPs and NSPs in
near real-time.  The list has helped mitigate attacks and will continue to
do so.  Those interested in being members and that fulfill the
requirements should review:

Regards
Hank
on behalf of the nsp-security moderators

As the bandwidth ramps up on the access side, this problem is only
going
to become more and more prevalent (as if it's not already enough of a
problem).While I don't think filtering is the silver bullet, it can
certainly help at times.Ithink some of the larger watch sites (eg
SANS, etc.) out there have the right idea - even though reactive in
nature, almost real-time dissemination of attack vectors and trending
of
methods goes a long way towards slowing down some of these attacks.
Unfortunately, these single target attacks, such as attacks on Cisco,
Ebay, Yahoo, etc. cannot be entirely thwarted if the attacker(s)
is/are
determined enough.We could go down the client side discussion (you
know, the one about certain software vendors, etc.) but that topic has
already been covered in great length.

Hank Nussbacher