nanog mailing list archives

RE: Yankee Group declares core routing obsolete (was Re: Anybodyusing GBICs?)

From: "Deepak Jain" <deepak () ai net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:37:01 -0500

I would be interested in seeing, say, a 7609-GSR or better yet 7609-T640
bakeoff.  I think that would prove 2 things - 1) you get what you pay for,
and 2) purpose-built routers are still better at routing heavy loads with
diverse media.  Sure, the loaded 640 will be more expensive, but it will
most definitely knock the power supplies off the 7609 in general
performance.  Perhaps the SUP-720 will change that - I look forward to
seeing it in our lab, where I may be reconvinced...

If you check out the PDF at this URL:
www.eantc.de/press/pressreleases/sep03/EANTC-Summary-Report-Cisco-GigE-Catal
yst6500-Supervisor720.pdf (I am sure its available elsewhere) You might be
surprised about the SUP720 vs T640 performance for general routing loads.
Obviously if you have a lot of WAN interfaces the 7600/6500 just doesn't
have all of them, but this performance analysis seemed reasonably complete.
I have not seen a similar one for the T640.

Deepak Jain
AiNET