nanog mailing list archives

RE: AOL fixing Microsoft default settings

From: "Terry Baranski" <tbaranski () mail com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 00:55:46 -0400

How many other ISPs intend to follow AOL's practice and use their
connection support software to fix the defaults on their customer's
Windows computers?

      Sounds good to me.  The potential for these users
to be less-than-educated enough about the existance of
this "feature" means that the potential for this to
increase the overall network security is a good thing.

      Hopefully they will enable automatic checking and
downloading of critical software updates as well.

The "without notice" part is perhaps somewhat unsettling.  I can
appreciate that attempting to explain this type of change to the AOL
user base would be challenging, but I'd submit that third-party software
making OS changes like this without the user's knowledge could be "thin
ice" territory.  Where is the line drawn once this path is chosen?

-Terry