nanog mailing list archives

RE: Verizon Postmaster contact?

From: Charles Sprickman <spork () inch com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 15:03:06 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Bob German wrote:

My understanding is that they started breaking the RFC by refusing mail
with null <> senders last week.

Based on past experience, I wasn't too surprised.

Heh.

Doesn't seem to be that:

spork@green[~]$ telnet relay.verizon.net 25
Trying 206.46.170.12...
Connected to relay.verizon.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 sc001.verizon.net MailPass SMTP server v1.0.6 - 103003062626JY ready
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 14:00:11 -0600
mail from: spork () spork us
250 Sender <spork () spork us> OK
rset
250 Ok resetting state
mail from: spork () bway net
550 You are not allowed to send mail:sc001.verizon.net
rset
250 Ok resetting state
mail from: <spork () bway net> sporker
550 You are not allowed to send mail:sc001.verizon.net
quit
221 sc001.verizon.net closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

We receive very very few spam complaints, and spamcop has been silent on
us for at least a month.  About the only spam I've been made aware of is
from trojaned dsl customers, but we cut that off when notified.  So I'm at
a loss as to what this is all about...

Thanks,

Charles

-bob