nanog mailing list archives

Re: Worm Bandwidth [was Re: Santa Fe city government computers knocked out by worm]

From: jmalcolm () uraeus com
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 01:39:06 +0000

Stuart Staniford writes:
I wasn't advocating a solution, just observing the way things would
have to be for worms to be purely a "buy a bigger box" problem (as I
think Sean was suggesting if I didn't misunderstand him).

Ah.

It would generally seem that ISPs would provide more downstream
capacity than upstream, since this saves money and normally not all the
downstream customers will use all their bandwidth at the same time.

Right; statistical multiplexing.

But a big worm could well break that last assumption.

Yes, as could a number of events, but the response to a worm would
probably be different from the latest streaming video event, or
whatever.

So it would seem that worms are, at a minimum, not a simple or
unproblematic capacity management problem.

Well, it would seem reasonable for an ISP to minimize a worm's effect
on its non-worm customer traffic, and that might mean increasing
capacity in some places, but I don't think the goal would be to move
more worm traffic, but rather to reduce impact to other
traffic. Presumably such activity would be combined with other
anti-worm efforts.