nanog mailing list archives

Re: Increase in traffic to/from DSL subs since August?

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja () darkwing uoregon edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 13:09:43 -0800 (PST)

icmp followed by port 135 connection attempts? nachi or welchia...

flow logs are highly useful in understanding gross behavioral changes in
user usage patterns.

joelja

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Jared B. Reimer wrote:

Greetings.

Another independent ISP operator and I have noticed a pretty significant
increase in traffic to and from our broadband (DSL) subscribers since
August.  It's been a fairly steady uptick, at least in my case, resulting
in a doubling of overall average traffic to/from these folks since then.

Have others seen a similar trend?  Any thoughts as to what the cause may
be?  Our best guess a virus/worm, possibly being used as a spam relay or
other proxy at this point...

Many thanks,

-- Jared

--
Joel Jaeggli           Unix Consulting         joelja () darkwing uoregon edu