nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cost of Worm Attack Protection

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja () darkwing uoregon edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 07:14:18 -0800 (PST)

I haven't seen any network or customer site that has protected itself from
worms... only mitigated them.

joelja

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 sgorman1 () gmu edu wrote:

I was hoping to get some estimates from folks on the costs of defending
networks from various worm attacks.  It is a pretty wide open question,
but if anyone has some rough estimates of what it costs per edge,
manpower vs. equipment costs, or any combination thereof it would be of
great assistance.  We are doing some simulations of attack and defense
strategies and looking for some good metrics to plug into a cost benefit
model.  We'd be happy to share the results if anyone is interested as
well.

Thanks in advance,

sean

--
Joel Jaeggli           Unix Consulting         joelja () darkwing uoregon edu