nanog mailing list archives

Re: Router with 2 (or more) interfaces in same network

From: Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:34:31 -0500

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 09:55:34AM -0500, Leo Bicknell wrote:
In a message written on Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 08:35:34AM +0000, Sugar, Sylvia wrote:
I am curious to know if its possible to have a router with its two interfaces, say configured as,
1.1.1.1/16 and 1.1.1.2/16. Theoretically, i see nothing which can stop a router from doing this.

Cisco's don't let you do this.  I have always considered that broken,
although I'm sure Cisco thinks it's a feature.

I'm not sure how Cisco is wrong on this one. If you want 2 router
interfaces to have the same route and you actually want both of them to
work, it means at the very least you must have a non point-to-point
medium, such as Ethernet. In this case, the correct configuration would be
a bridge-group and IRB, creating a virtual routed interface with 2
physical ports for bridging.

Other routers (of note FreeBSD boxes) do this just fine.  In almost all
cases I've seen it done it was for more bandwidth to the box (typically
inbound only, because there are no good tools on Unix boxes to split the
traffic between the outgoing interfaces).

I love FreeBSD, but it's routing code is probably the thing you least want
to look to for examples on how things should be. BTW there is a netgraph
module for L2 hash-based load balancing (aka etherchannel without the
PAgP/LACP), but yeah the lack of ECMP and a reasonable switching method to
support it falls into the category of the previous sentence. :)

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras