nanog mailing list archives

Re: [Re: This may be stupid but.. ]

From: "Stephen Sprunk" <stephen () sprunk org>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 12:42:52 -0600

Thus spake "'Timothy R. McKee'" <tim () baseworx net>
I agree certifications are overated at best.

Give me someone with the right attitude and I'll teach him anything.

Showing the ability to get things done is the greatest skill imo.

Unfortunately, most recruiters and even hiring managers have no way to
determine if a candidate has the skills or attitude necessary for a high-end
tech job.  This, IMHO, is where certifications become somewhat valid; they
provide a minimum bar (however low) for non-technical people to use.

They're misused too, of course.  I've had several recruiters tell me I
wasn't qualified for a job because I wasn't a CCNA -- CCIE wasn't good
enough.