nanog mailing list archives

Re: DMCA Violation?

From: listuser () numbnuts net
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 11:19:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 8 May 2003, Roy wrote:

This is the best information I have seen and its exactly what we do.

Even if the note doesn't exactly match the DMCA requirements, I think
there is all ready a ruling in a lower court that says some were close
enough

Also, if you simply blow off the notice, you can become liable since you
didn't follow the intent of the DMCA to remove copyrighted material.

IIRC, they have to provide you with a written (and hence legal) copy of
the notice if you request it.  It's my understanding that many places are
doing this to all "notices" they get.  Since they never get a written
reply in return it's assumed that the email was fraudulent and they ignore
it.  It works for them.  If I can find that discussion, I'll provide the
link.

Justin