nanog mailing list archives

Re: Good (cheap) 2000Mb/s solution?

From: "Stephen J. Wilcox" <steve () telecomplete co uk>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 11:14:32 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 6 May 2003, Simon Lockhart wrote:

On Tue May 06, 2003 at 04:56:35PM -0400, Deepak Jain wrote:
I need a good, cheap (its temporary) solution to run 2000mb/s over a single
pair of multimode fiber (SX handoffs). I'd ideally like to put in two GEs,
and get two out. I could use 10G gear, or OC48 gear, but I was hoping for
something less pricey since this only has two run about 200ft between two
buildings.

Any suggestions? I will be glad to summarize for anyone who wants it.

I've heard of people who use a pair of SX gbics (1310nm), and a pair of LX
gbics (1550nm), and a cheap WDM splitter to get two GigE's down one pair
of fiber.

This would be my suggestion too but you dont need any WDM kit as you already are
using different wavelengths, its possible to buy whats essentially a 3 way fibre
connector and just connect both cards in and your fibre out. I believe these
splitters are about $150.

Steve