nanog mailing list archives

Re: Who uses RADB? [was BGP to doom us all]

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 10:35:44 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 lhoward () UU NET wrote:
Very subtle, David.  As it happens, somebody asked only last week if
they could take up the project again.  For those who think mapping
filters to route objects is nigh trivial, there is a significant
difference between network assignees and routes.  Tracking assignments,
ASNs, customer routing policy, and which edge router each connects to
requires two scoops of Perl.

Its not trivial, but there are several proof's of existance out
there.  I think Worldcom even owned the code for at least two working
implementations at one time or another :-)

Essentially a route registry is a way to tell everyone "only listen to
this route/prefix from me."  But if every ISP runs their own route
registry, you end up with the same problem with an additional level of
indirection.  C&W's route registry says their  route, Level 3's route
registry says their route, Verio's route registry says their route.  Etc
with Merit, ARIN, RIPE.

However, it is a step forward to get the informaton in a common format
which can be shared/munged/checked/etc.  The route vectors in BGP are
very information limited.  RPSL/rWHOIS has the opportunity to provide
more context.