nanog mailing list archives

FW: Code red- Returning?

From: "McBurnett, Jim" <jmcburnett () msmgmt com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 13:38:57 -0500

I think this shouldgo here..
Mistype nanog....

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Johannes Ullrich [mailto:jullrich () euclidian com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 1:10 PM
To: McBurnett, Jim
Cc: anog () merit edu
Subject: Re: Code red- Returning?

Yes. This month, we are tracking about twice as many sources as usual
scanning port 80. The likely reason is the release of Code Red
F earlier
this month.

graph of port 80 activity for the last 2+months:
ttp://www.dshield.org/port_report.php?port=80&days=70

In addition, there are some spikes in the number of targets
scanned, which
could be target list acquisitions for the next big thing
(maybe the WebDav
exploit).

AFAIK, the only difference for Code Red F is that it changed
the 'cut off year'
at which it will stop scanning. So it probably infected some
machines that due
to clock settings where not infected by the other versions.
But I haven't had
a chance to look at it in detail.

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 12:50:17 -0500