nanog mailing list archives

Re: DSL-IP Probes Curiousity..

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 00:30:53 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, McBurnett, Jim wrote:
I am just curious about this.
I see a rather unusual # of SNMP queiries
and port scans from  DSL
IP blocks in the US...

How many of you really go after the script kiddies
doing this?

I know 1, 2 or even 3 a day is not a concern for me,
but when I get 3 a day from the same source IP allocation,
I start wondering...

I know people like to use sensational terms like "pre-attack
reconnaissance" and "DOS attacks." There is a constant background
hum on today's Internet, some of it is malicious, some of it is
badly managed systems. Between automated web spiders, academics doing
network discovery, automated worms, and badly designed "plug-n-play"
software, your IDS system should be seeing stuff all the time.

The Pentagon used to report amazing numbers for "network attacks,"
anything from a single ping up to a full scale network compromise, but I
haven't found recent numbers for 2002 or later.

FedCIRC put out these numbers for 2002.

Count   Type
125     Root compromise
111     User compromise