nanog mailing list archives

RE: Who uses RADB? [was BGP to doom us all]

From: "Michael Hallgren" <m.hallgren () free fr>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 22:33:40 +0100

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Mark Radabaugh wrote:

Who actually uses RADB to build filters other than Verio?  While my
experience with other providers is limited Verio is the only one (of the
ones we have used) who used RADB entries for BGP peers.

AFAIK, Level3 and C&W.

Teleglobe as well (mirror), unless late to me unknown changes.

mh

 I have to keep RADB entries (actually altdb, and
c&w's own) up to date in order for each of them to accept our routes and
our BGP customers' routes.

Overall it wasn't the best solution IMHO for a couple of reasons:

 - there was nothing to keep us from making bogus entries in the RADB
 - filters were only updated once a day making changes slow

OTOH, they don't have to pay someone to answer and respond to email sent
to bgp-admin.  They won't accept routes you accidentally leak to
them.  Is
it secure?  Not really.  Is it cheap, reliable automation, I suspect so.

This is not meant as a complaint toward Verio - I'm simply
trying to decide
why we should go to the added expense of entering our routes in
a RADB.  To
date I have seen no operational difference between using RADB
and not using

www.altdb.net.  No expense other than the time you spend keeping your
objects up to date.

 Jon Lewis *jlewis () lewis org*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |