nanog mailing list archives

RE: 69/8...this sucks

From: Haesu <haesu () towardex com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 22:44:43 -0500 (EST)

That's a non-solution that will never happen.  How many networks are going
to trust joe somebody to inject null routes into their backbone?  Will
UUNet/Sprint/C&W/Level3/etc. trust me or Rob to tell them what's a bogon
and what's not?  I really doubt it.  They might have an easier time
trusting their local RIR, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

Well... I am pretty sure Tier1 backbones are up-to-date on the bogon
filters :-)

As we've already discussed, it's really the smaller networks with outdated
bogons or with admins who don't know what they are doing..

Several people pointed that out earlier.  Botched / outdated firewall
configs may be a bigger problem than BGP filters.  For a glimpse at why,
see
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=69.0.0.0%2F8&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search

Yup..

I know some writers watch nanog for potential stories.  Wake up guys, this
should be one...if not for the news value "ARIN gives out unusable IPs,
future of the Net in question", then at least for the public service value
of getting the word out that bogon filters need to be maintained and kept
up to date or they do more harm than good.

No kidding..

I think we are just going around the circle/preaching to the choir on the
same topic here.. Is this like what... 3rd time we are discussing
this whole 69/8 issue :-D? Really, someone needs to get out this 69/8
issue on the press.. Just a thought.. heh

-hc

 Jon Lewis *jlewis () lewis org*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |