nanog mailing list archives

RE: 69/8...this sucks -- Centralizing filtering..

From: jlewis () lewis org
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 15:56:10 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Michael Whisenant wrote:

First I appreciate your message that you sent to us at NASA late Friday
regarding a new address block that you received from ARIN. In that message
you suggest that the issue was a BOGON route filter that had not been
updated. Then without allowing sufficient time to respond to your message
(you sent it to an administrative account and not the NOC) you decided to
flame NASA.

My mention of NASA wasn't meant at all as a flame.  It was just an example
that not all the networks with outdated filters are remote nets in far
away countries that my customers wouldn't care about.  A few I've
found are.  I had to look up the country code to find that .al is Albania.

I had actually planned to mention at some point that NASA was the first
(only so far) network to respond to the few messages I sent out late last
friday, and that their reported network has already been fixed.  I can
only assume that none of the previous 94 allocation holders of 69/8 space
noticed or complained to the right people.

If you feel that you have any issue reaching a NASA resource then you can
send a message to noc () nisn nasa gov and/or the tech/org/noc POC on any
address space. NISN is NASA's ISP and as such announce via AS297 that
address space.

As for sending the message to the wrong addresses, I can only suggest
updating your ARIN info.  I sent the message to all the POCs (except the
abuse one) for the relevant NetRange.  This is what I'll be doing when I
send out the automated messages.  The ones sent friday were done by hand.

Can you elaborate on how a firewall config was the problem?  If whatever
was done there is commonly done, it may be worth revising my form message
before I send out a large number of them.

 Jon Lewis *jlewis () lewis org*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |