nanog mailing list archives

Re: WANTED: ISPs with DDoS defense solutions

From: "Stephen J. Wilcox" <steve () telecomplete co uk>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 19:21:44 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Petri Helenius wrote:

What we need is a new programming paradigm, capable of actually producing
secure (and, yes, reliable) software.  C and its progeny (and "program
now, test never" lifestyle) must go.  I'm afraid it'll take laws which
would actually make software makers to pay for bugs and security
vulnerabilities in shipped code to make such paradigm shift a reality.

Blaming the tools for the mistakes programmers make is like saying "guns kill people"
when the truth is that people kill people with guns.

We´ve code running, where the core parts are C and has a track record better
than the "utopian" five nines so many people mistakenly look for.

However, since improvements are always welcome, please recommend tools which
would allow us to progress "above and beyond" C and it´s deficencies.

We digress but..

Private deployment of software written in C is very different from a major
public release, especially so when included with source code.

Steve