nanog mailing list archives

Re: g.root-servers.net - U.S. DoD Network Information Center

From: "Stephen J. Wilcox" <steve () telecomplete co uk>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 18:04:34 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Jack Bates wrote:

From: "Sean Donelan"

So does anyone know what happened to the US DOD NIC during this event?
They provide one of the root servers, but they disappeared off the net
for much of this event.

My personal opinion, though it doesn't account for much, is that they were
testing out the new ways one can serve DNS from a MS-SQL database. Then
again, they could just be smart and be paranoid. If I had a private network
where security was required to be high, I'd have pulled the plug until the
storm was over. Why take chances?

eh?

You are host to one of the Internet's root DNS servers and you pull the plug
when things go a bit hairy on you.

Even for a hosting company I'd not be happy if I was a customer and they
shutdown the whole of their Internet access because of some problem like this!

Steve